The cold didn’t douse the dedication of the runners or those ready to lend moral support. Swooners and NextGeners got up early on the bone-cold Saturday morning to drive home support for a cause. “Knowing I was running to raise money for Open Heart Magic made it easier to push through,” said Tara Interrante who was cheered on by many of her colleagues as she braved Chicago’s “early spring” weather. Jack Sawyer was equally impressed by the support: “They still got up early on the weekend to come and cheer us on. Awesome.”
The win-win feeling overcame the numbing cold as Swoon and NextGen doubled down on their commitment to help the charitable organizations that strengthen the communities they serve. The success of the event had some fondly looking ahead: “I look forward to running in the next race, the Susan G. Komen Chicagoland Race for the Cure.” said Colin Harris. Let’s hope they won’t need a parka for that one, but they’ve already proven to not be just fair-weather fans.
Thanks to the Current Charity Committee Members!
Michelle Baker Blake Stone
Lori Kalbfleisch Stephanie Kinsey
Tamara Najjar Matt Metropolis
We’re excited to plan more events that support our primary charities. Members of the committee will rotate, as many from Swoon and NextGen want to be a part of it. Stay tuned for a monthly newsletter!
· 4/17/15 Open Heart Magic’s “Tricks are for Kids Benefit”: 2 tables for 12 lucky Swooners/Nextgengers to attend. Also volunteer opportunity
· 5/2/15 Mercy Home Gala: 1 table for 6 lucky Swooners/Nextgeners to attend. Also volunteer opportunity
· 5/29/15 HFS Chicago Scholars “Casino Night”: Volunteer opportunity to help as Casino Dealers for the event!
· June TBA Meals from the Heart (Ronald McDonald House): 20 volunteers from Swoon & NextGen will cook dinner for the families staying at the Chicago house.
· Summer TBA: St. Judes Fashion Show